Saturday 18 April 2020

And More Rainbows!

We're midway through the month but there's still plenty of time to enter our April Challenge at Stamping Sensations, where our theme is "Somewhere Over The Rainbow", quite appropriate at the present time. Full details over on the challenge blog.

I've been taking advantage of the extra spare time, during this period of lockdown, to explore some different artforms, one of which is pyrography. I bought a kit a while ago but hadn't had much chance to try it out until now. I've been inspired by Richard Dickson who, as The Pyronautist, does some fabulous work. Do go and have a look at his Facebook page. He mentioned on his page that he had been burning designs on watercolour paper, which made it possible to produce cards with pyrography designs, so I thought I would have a go at that. It works a treat!

I stamped the flowers (Woodware) on to the watercolour card with Desert Sand Memento ink, and then outlined and shaded the design with my pyrography tool. I wanted to add the rainbow background but didn't want the flowers to be coloured, so I used a Versamark pen to cover them completely and clear embossed them to act as a resist.

I sprayed the card with clean water and brushed various shades of Distress inks over in a rainbow shape, drying it with a heat gun so that the colours didn't continue to spread. I wiped away the excess colour from the flowers with a damp cloth.

The watercolour card, which I thoroughly recommend, is Cass Art Hot Press 300gsm. It's called "paper" but 300gsm is actually quite thick, more like card. I don't think I would want to risk burning on to anything thinner! It also takes the water very well and is perfect for stamping on as it is smooth. I wanted to keep the design clean and simple, so I just added a die cut butterfly (Cheery Lynn) and a sentiment (magazine freebie). For a first try, I was quite pleased with how it turned out, and will definitely be doing more.

We have had some absolutely gorgeous entries for our Rainbow challenge so far, but we would still like to see lots more. Let's fill blogland with this symbol of hope!

9 comments:

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

What a fabulous card and what sounds like a great technique. I bought the pyrography kit that was on Create and Craft a short time ago for Hubby to try while we can't get out, however he's not liking it much, so I might just hasve to give this a try.

Sue xx

kiwimeskreations said...

What an amazing card Lynne - love how you created it - I had never though you could 'do' pyrography on paper! To then clear emboss and create your background was genius. An exquisite card
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Viv said...

A fab technique Lynne - and a lovely card!

Tracy said...

What a pretty card, love your rainbow colours and image.
Stay safe and well
Happy crafting
Tracy x

Joan said...

what a great technique, there is something new in the craftworld every day, its a lovely card. I have a very old pyrography set but could never get to grips with it.

Joan

Marlies said...

A beautiful card Lynne. A lovely effect with the white flowers against the rainbow. Stay safe. Marlies x

brenda said...

Such a pretty and different effect here Lynn, I thought you had bleached out the flowers until I read tour post.

B x

pinky said...

Gorgeous card Lynne. The rainbow is such a perfect element to the card. Really sets the pretty flowers off.

Sandma's Handmade Cards said...

Wowza, this is a fabulous card Lynne and I have to say that I would never have been brave enough to use pyrography on a card. It looks amazing and it’s something that I would love to have a go on but definitely on something a bit more solid! :) x