Sunday 20 September 2020

Just For A Change

Much as I enjoy my card making, which I've been doing for over 30 years now, I do like to pursue other crafts as well. The silver lining in the lockdown cloud has been having more spare time to revisit some of my old favourites and also to try new ones. I've been needle felting for quite some time, but it was only recently that I attempted my very first wet felted picture. I used one of my photos for reference. The scene is Criffel (the hill) viewed from Newbie Barns, on the Solway Firth. 











And here is my felted interpretation of the photo. Had to use a bit of artistic licence for the oystercatchers - there are several in the photo, but you'd need a magnifying glass to see them!











It was a steep learning curve, but I was quite pleased with my first effort. I've also become a big fan of Mum's Makery needle felting templates (designed and produced by the wonderfully talented Samantha Loughlin, owner of Mum's Makery), which make it so easy to produce beautiful felted flowers and other items which are 3D rather than flat pictures. These are a few of my makes with the templates.






The templates can also be used for 2D felting, as with the mushroom in the next picture. The conkers, acorn and berries were made freehand, and the small leaves with mini sugarcraft templates.


The beauty of the templates is that they enable consistency in shape and size of the felted pieces.

I returned to 2D felting for a birthday card which featured a detachable bookmark, with the addition of some hand and machine embroidery over the felting. Having made the bookmark, I used coloured pencils to extend the picture on to the base card.


For anyone who would like to take up a new creative hobby which is easy to learn and doesn't require a lot of expensive materials to get started with, I can definitely recommend needle felting. Check out the Mum's Makery YouTube channel  for loads of brilliant tutorials, and also the fabulous and very supportive Mum's Makery Facebook Group to see what it's all about. As well as deriving great satisfaction from being able to produce the finished articles, I also find the process very therapeutic. Must be all that stabbing..........! 😉
 








6 comments:

Sandma's Handmade Cards said...

Wow Lynne, your makes are incredible. I had never realised that you could make so much with needle felting. I had a friend years ago who used to make animals with it and I was always amazed as how real they looked. Your first picture is absolutely stunning and a great take on your photo. I’ll take a look at theYouTube channel that you mention, although I don’t think I dare take up another craft now that I’ve finished work. I started doing some sewing again recently. I haven’t made anything special, only masks for the family but I really enjoyed doing it. At one time when the children were little, I used to make clothes for them and also for myself. It’s great to rediscover things and your love of needle felting shines through in what you’ve made. Life is short and we must do what makes us happy. I’m a firm believer that happiness lies in the little things in life. Thank you for sharing. Crafty hugs, Sandra xx

Marlies said...

Wauw you have creating some wonderful thngs with the felt Lynne. Realy fantastic work. Marlies x

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

Wow these are fantastic Lynne, I especially love the gorgeous picture that you've created.

Sue xx

Sally H said...

stunning creations, Lynne! I love them all! Your photo is wonderful too. I still remember sitting on that bench listening to curlew and oystercatchers as the sun set. You are such an inspiration. Thank you so much for introducing me to needlefelting. I am really enjoying it and I am looking forward to exploring wet felting now I have my book and wee mool.

kiwimeskreations said...

Wonderful creations Lynne - almost enough to make me think I may want to take up another hobby, but as I am trying to downsize I had better not.
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Aquarius said...

Arrived here courtesy of Viv - love the needle felting photo interpretation and I will be checking out Mum's Makery - a new one to me but I do like a bit of 'stabbing'😀