Sunday 7 January 2018

A Cold And Frosty New Year!

Happy New Year  everybody! Hope 2018 is a year of peace and happiness for all. It's been a bit nippy lately up in our neck of the woods, and that makes Stamping Sensations' first challenge of the year quite appropriate! We'd like you to use

* * * * * COLD AND FROSTY COLOURS * * * * *

We're thinking blues, purples, lilacs, whites, silver etc. for the main colours of your project. And as always, please do remember that we are a stamping challenge, therefore we must see a stamped image as the focal element of your artwork, not just a stamped sentiment or stamping in the background. This means that stamping must be the central subject of attention and interest. 

We have a super prize for our winner, this wonderful assortment of products from Sizzix!



I've used Distress Oxide inks (Broken China and Wilted Violet) and Inkylicious stamps for my card.


This was the first outing for my Splatter Circle, which I bought at last October's Stamp Magic show but haven't had chance to use until now. It's a fabulous stamp, very versatile, and huge! (My card is 7" x 7"). I inked it up randomly with the two inks and then lightly misted it with water to blend the inks. Once the image was dry, I overstamped it with the Winter Birds (another new favourite stamp!) and went over the snow with a white gel pen. I coloured the berries with a Promarker. The sentiment was cut out with a Spellbinders die, and I added a couple of gems for a bit of sparkle. A snippet of glitter paper found amongst my stash was perfect for matting the picture, and I also used some DP which was a magazine freebie. All stamps by Inkylicious.


Although we haven't had much snow yet this winter, we have had some very hard frosts. There are still a few berries around here for the birds, and we have lots of visitors to our feeders every day. Recent ones were these stunning bullfinches. We had three pairs one day, flitting amongst the brambles at the edge of the garden.


  I managed to capture a bit of video of them.

We get not only most of the common garden birds, but also some more unusual ones. For example:

Goldfinch
Yellowhammer
Siskin
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Nuthatch
Lesser Redpoll
the gorgeous Pheasant
And my favourite cheeky, chirpy Long Tailed Tits!
I never tire of watching the birds, and I don't even have to leave the house to see them. All the photos were taken through my kitchen window! We are so lucky to live where we do, with nature all around us. I'm never short of inspiration.

Talking of which, if you should need any to help you with our Cold And Frosty Challenge, do fly over to the Challenge Blog and have a look at the beautiful samples which my talented teamies have produced for you. Can't wait to see your cool creations!

12 comments:

brenda said...

Your card has a beautiful design Lynn and that splatter stamp really does draw the eye to the focal birds.

Enjoyed looking at your photos as well, I really should make an effort to take a few in our gardens, that said not sure my little camera it up to much more than cards. We see several of these although the Bullfinches seem very shy but did give us a real treat in the summer when they ventures close to the house with their three little ones.

B x

pinky said...

I have never heard of a splatter circle Lynne but now I think I need one! This is just gorgeous!! Your bird photos are amazing, their colours are so beautiful.

Tracy said...

This is absolutely gorgeous Lynne, I adore how you have incorporated your new splatter stamp into your design. I love it!
Fabulous bird photo's you are so lucky to see so many different species in your garden.
Happy crafting
Tracy x

Marlies said...

A gorgeous card, very elegant. I realy like the circle stamp and the bird stamp is so elegant. Perfect together! You have made lovely nature photos of the birds in your garden. hugs, Marlies

Sandma's Handmade Cards said...

Hi Lynne, and a very happy New Year to you, albeit a little late. I hope it's one that's filled with much happiness for you. Your card is absolutely beautiful and the splatter stamp works so well, I bet you'll get such a lot of use out of that one. The birds looks superb too, as does the parts where you've highlighted the snow, it looks so effective against the background. Your photos are stunning and they've brightened my day, so thank you. Take care of yourself and happy crafting. Crafty hugs, Sandra x

Joan said...

Love how you gave used that splatter circle stamp and winter birds too, think they might be on my next wish list

Joan x

Viv said...

Stunning photos and video Lynne - lucky girl!
Great card too - I think that sentiment stamp is one of my faves.

Sally H said...

A Gorgeous card, Lynne! I love how you used the splatter circle and I have only used that stamp for Christmas cards - it will be getting more use very soon! Your photos are gorgeous too. That Male Bullfinch is the finest specimen I have ever seen - such bold colours! Meg managed to snap the goldcrest on our feeders so I will upload it and show you soon x Posty is bringing you something on Tuesday or Wednesday xxx

Anonymous said...

oh, i love the blue and purple in your pretty card along with the white on the branches - so realistic! and such a lovely variety of birds! we usually only see cardinals, blue jays, goldfinches and the occasion hawk keeping a watchful eye on the bunnies. thank you for the kind words lynne and for inviting me to be a guest designer this month!

AlisonC said...

I love the colours in your inky circle. You are lucky to see so many different birds and your photographs are great. I have Long Tailed Tits visiting regularly now and never tire of seeing them.

Let's Art Journal said...

Beautiful card! The splatter circle stamp is amazing and I love the birds too ๐Ÿ˜. I so enjoyed seeing your inspiration, what an wonderful array of birds you have visiting your garden and your photos are fabulous! Wishing you a happy and creative week! J ๐Ÿ˜Š

Cocofolies said...

Oh Lynne, this is so beautiful!!!
Your card is wonderful, and I also love the stamps you have used on it. I had noticed it when looking at the whole inspiration makes for the challenge! :) You create delightful cards.
Thank you also for the photos of the birds, wow!
You are very lucky to have such beautiful and various birds around you.... Looks like a beautiful place.
Warm crafty hugs,
Coco x